You may be familiar with Blue, Red, Yellow and Green LED light therapy, but have you heard about Near-Infrared technology? It’s a powerful feature on our new MediLUX LED workstation, and it’s the one skin rejuvenation and anti-ageing treatment of 2019 that you need to know about!
What is Near Infrared?
Near Infrared is a type of infrared light that falls just after red light on the electromagnetic spectrum. Its wavelengths span from 700nm – 1200nm and its light is invisible to the human eye. It’s a technology increasingly integrated into saunas, valued for its therapeutic benefits, and it is also gaining traction within the medi-spa and clinic environment as a promising anti-ageing and skin rejuvenation treatment. The sun’s light spectrum is majorly comprised of Near Infrared light, and is vital to the overall health of human and plant life. When Near Infrared is used in a clinical environment, we can experience the regenerative benefits of sunlight, without the counter-productive and damaging effects of UV radiation.
What is Near-Infrared used for?
As it lies so close to red light on the spectrum, many of the benefits of red LED and Near Infrared are the same. However, its longer wavelength means that it penetrates deeper into the cells, providing additional therapeutic benefits that span tissue and cellular regeneration and even muscle and joint pain relief. The process of applying Near Infrared light to the body is known as photobiomodulation.
How does it surpass traditional LED Light Therapy?
LED light therapy such as blue and red is widely recognised for its ability to superficially rejuvenate the skin. Near Infrared takes things one step further by penetrating deeper into the skin and tissue, allowing clinicians to treat fragile skin support structures that result in signs of ageing such as wrinkles, thin, lax skin and also coarse skin. Near Infrared light works to stimulate fibroblast activity, creating new proteins for collagen and elastin, which are both pivotal for maintaining firm, smooth, supple and wrinkle-free skin.
What are the key benefits?
For clients seeking deep cellular repair for their skin without pain, invasive procedures or downtime, the key benefits of Near Infrared therapy include:
- Stimulates the mitochondria which in turn boosts adenosine triphosphate production (ATP) to promote healing, DNA repair and cellular regeneration.
- Reduces skin and tissue inflammation and speeds up healing of lesions and wounds.
- Stimulates collagen and elastin production for firmer, suppler, younger-looking skin.
- Boosts blood circulation and cellular oxygenation, stimulating a release of toxic wastes for a healthy, radiant glow.
- Improves overall skin clarity, tone, texture and resilience.
- Can be used stand-alone, or combined with Red LED therapy for advanced anti-ageing skin rejuvenation.